OK so if you watched my vlog or you are reading this blog then I guess you have decided to make 2012 your year to get healthy and fit. YAY good for you. It is never too late or too early to get on it. I am writing out your steps to success here so you can follow them and achieve, maybe finally, your 'best fitness' this year - 2012. So make sure to get a piece of paper out and start writing this stuff down. Cause this year YOU WILL DO IT!
5 Steps to ACHIEVE Your GOAL:
Step 1: Specific
- You must be specific with your goals. For instance my goal is NOT to just lose weight. My goal is to lose 15 lbs of fat over a 12 week period. Maintain my muscle. I started 2 weeks ago with my bodyfat being 27% and my weight being 133 lbs. Means I have 36lbs of fat on my body. I want to get down to 18% body fat and weigh 118 lbs. So doing the math, it means I have to lose 15lbs of fat. I want to maintain my lean body mass of 97lbs. In fact I would LOVE to add some muscle but that is not my goal at this time.
Step 2: Measurable
- Goal has to be measurable. You can NOT just say I want to lose some weight. You have to measure where you are right NOW and figure out where you want to be LATER. HOW are you going to measure is up to you. I am using body fat and weight as my measurement tools. They will help me regularly MONITOR my PROGRESS to my success. Also the very unforgettable 'before video' and my 'before photos'. They always make us face our REALITY! Some folks might measure their bone density or their blood pressure or there cholesterol.... or a combination of the above.
Step 3: Achievable
- You goal or resolution must be achievable. You would think this is a no brainer but noooooo. In a recent post of mine I talked about YOUR Expectations. What are your expectations - how fast, slow do you want this to go? Well I believe that you should focus on what is achievable in a 'HEALTHY' manner to getting healthy and fit. You should shoot to lose 2 lbs of fat at most a week. That is achievable if , if, if, you follow THE PLAN. Also a post from last two weeks. Will be getting into the details in later posts.
Step 4: Realistic
- So we have our specific, measurable, achievable goal - now we have to be realistic. LOVE that word realistic - most especially in health and fitness. Someone said to me the other day, but I want to lose 60lbs in the next 3 months and I am like.... huh, really? And HOW do you plan to do this? LISTEN can you lose 60lbs in 3 months? YES if you have 60lbs to lose. Personally I don't. BUT listen again. I ONLY want to lose 15lbs of fat and I really could lose that in about 10 - 14 days IF I did it in an UNHEALTHY way like starved. I would also lose my precious muscle too. Basically except for the scale and body getting smaller EVERYTHING else would be against me and as soon as I ate again - can you say BALLOON UP!! So we are going to be realistic and adopt a lifestyle of LIVING that reinforces our slow and steady weight loss goals.
Step 5: Time-Based
- Oh yeah, you gotta have a start and stop date. Many folks are starting TODAY - Jan. 2, 2012 as their first day living healthy and fit. AWESOME!! So glad you are starting - you are already ahead of all those folks still 'thinking' about starting. OK, so you have your start now you will decide by WHEN you will attain, reach your goal weight, body fat or whatever it is that you are measuring. By when do you want this achieved? Personally I like to make small, attainable, measurable goals withing a short time frame and then just keep making more goals. What I mean is if you have a LOT of weight you have to lose I would start by following these steps and making it a 12 week, 16 week or 20 week goal to achieve and expect to lose at MOST 2 lbs a week. Once you have accomplished that goal then set ANOTHER.
If you really, really want to conquer this health and fitness thing then you need to start thinking this is WHO YOU ARE. Yes you are a person who is focusing on your health and fitness and this is the NEW YOU! If your friends and family can't handle it just remember they will come around. Before too long YOU WILL be the one THEY come to for health and fitness advice. WHY? Because you will have BEAT IT and are NOW the example to follow. So do ya think you are a leader? Ohhh yes, that is for another post.
Happy New Year. Wishing you the very best Happy, Healthy and Prosperous NEW YEAR!
Subscribe for your FREE Food and Exercise DAILY JOURNAL