My name is Lynnette. I am a mother to two great kids, a wife and lover of all things healthy. I believe balance is the key to a happy, healthy life! Some of my favorite things in life are my family, books...I could read all day, yoga, and green drinks!!! I forgot to add coffee to that list...all things in moderation, right?
Well, the kids went back to school last week and our family is trying to get back to our healthy routine. If you are anything like me, you ate and slept differently over the holiday and probably were a lot busier than normal. Even when you live a healthy lifestyle, it is easy to get off track during the holidays. I end up feeling very bloated and sluggish every January. For me, getting back to some form of routine helps combat those feelings.
Here are a few things that I do on a daily basis to help me and my family, get back to feeling great.
- First thing in the morning, before I do anything else, I drink a warm cup of lemon water. Most people wake up slightly dehydrated, which can cause fatigue. This easy step in your morning routine can help replace the water your body is craving. Anyone who knows me knows that I love coffee. I don’t see myself giving up this habit anytime soon, so I try to lessen the adverse effects by staying hydrated. I find that drinking the lemon water before my coffee keeps me from getting that jittery feeling. Some of the benefits of lemon include: a high amount of vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system and helps aid digestion; and lemons are alkaline, so they help balance your pH levels. Bodies like to be alkaline instead of acidic.
- Drink or eat something green. I LOVE kale and found that I really enjoy kale juices and smoothies. The kids will even drink a kale, parsley and pineapple smoothie. I feel alive after I drink something that has so many good things in it…vitamins, antioxidants, enzymes and even protein! Some of the super greens that go into my juices are kale, spinach, collard greens and parsley. If you are new to juicing, go slowly and add a little fruit at first. I also have a green powder on hand for when I am out and cannot juice.
- Exercise is crucial to feeling good and fighting that fatigued, bloated feeling that you may have after the holidays. Although I mostly weight train right now, I like to switch up my routine. Yoga is one of my favorite physical things to do because of the added benefit of a calm mind, as well as a happy, flexible body. No matter what, get moving. Bodies like to move and need exercise to thrive!
- Dry brushing is something I try to do before every shower. It only takes 5 minutes, but can really make a big difference. Before you shower, on dry skin, gently brush your skin in an upward motion, always moving toward your heart. This really helps to circulate your lymph, which helps the body detox and reduces puffiness. I use a long-handled, natural bristle brush.
- At the end of the day, right before bed, my whole family meditates. We don’t all do the same thing, but each does what works best for him or her. The kids love to listen to CDs that have a positive message and calming music. I like to either sit in silence or listen to one of my meditation CDs. The point is that our bodies need to be quiet and calm. Whatever you can do to create that feeling, do it! Even 5 minutes can make a big difference. Meditation calms the body and mind. On a physical level, it reduces stress by lowering stress hormones and will help you sleep, which most of us probably are still trying to catch up on!
By adding these 5 simple steps to your daily routine, you can really help get your body back to a balanced state where it thrives.
I hope you enjoyed today's post. I am hoping to become a regular guest blogger here on iwilldoit2's blog site, yes right HERE. So be sure to let me know if you LIKE this post by hitting LIKE below so your friends can read this too. Also you can Google+ or tweet. Be sure to check in next week for my newest entry. Thank YOU!
Subscribe for your FREE Food and Exercise DAILY JOURNAL