In the video below I give a demonstration of how to do the plank & the push-up. They are very similar exercises (with form) and they are body weight exercises that you can do right in your own home.
A few things to remember while doing The Plank:
- Pull your abs in and contract them towards your spine at all times while planking.
- Have your eyes looking just a little out above where your hands are on the floor.
- Different levels of difficulty so start where you are capable and go to Next Level when you can.
- Hands or elbows should be under your shoulders on the mat.
- Yes you will shake and YES keep holding it until you really can not anymore.
- Pay attention to your form. Is your butt sticking way up or dropping towards the ground? Re-align it and hold abs in.
- Yes it should be HARD and yes you will start to tremble and shake. At that point hold for 15 more seconds 🙂
A few things to remember while doing a Push-Up:
- Pull abs in and contract them towards your spine at all times when doing push-ups.
- Have your eyes looking just a little above where your hands are on the floor.
- Different levels of difficulty so start on knees first if you cannot do a straight leg. Or try straight leg and do however many you can and then go to your knees and continue to so as many as you can from that position.
- Hands should be just a little wider than shoulder width apart.
- You should bring your body/face all the way till you can practically kiss the ground, then back up.
- Do not do one -two inch down movements as they are NOT a push-up.
- If you cannot do a straight leg correctly do NOT do it. Start on your knees and focus on doing as many as you can CORRECTLY. That means none of that 1-2 inches down nonsense even if you can only do 2 CORRECTLY that is better than 20 incorrectly. UNDERSTAND. Do right or DO NOT DO.
Hope this helps you with some body weight exercises you can do right in your own home. They work well for helping folks fit some exercising in quick and easy. I do however still recommend working with weights TOO. Last week I posted a blog post about Body Weight vs, Free Weight Training and the pros and cons of each. I personally think they both serve a purpose however you must have HEAVY resistance to gain muscle size (plus quality and quantity foods) and for most folks with a goal of losing body fat and getting healthier and fitter, some good quality resistance training will work well in helping them achieve those lose weight and get fit goals. So do BOTH. Body weight and resistance exercises and if you DO NOT KNOW how then be sure to check out some of my videos. I have a series of DUMBBELL exercises that I do on video that will teach you how. My videos cover a complete week of exercises with dumbbells, so all body parts worked and guess what? I would say the work outs are pretty quick. YAY!
Thank YOU for stopping by and PLEASE LIKE below if you liked so your friends can see this post too or Pinterest, Google+ or even tweet! Be sure to subscribe for your FREE "Food and Exercise DAILY JOURNAL" ($18 value) right here if you have not already got yours yet! Great tool to help YOU on your journey of 'getting and living healthy and fit, inside and out.'
Subscribe for your FREE Food and Exercise DAILY JOURNAL