My name is Lynnette. I am a mother to two great kids, a wife and lover of all things healthy. I believe balance is the key to a happy, healthy life! Some of my favorite things in life are my family, books...I could read all day, yoga, and green drinks!!! I forgot to add coffee to that list...all things in moderation, right?
Last week I shared a delicious chocolate chia seed pudding recipe and today I am going to tell you WHY chia seeds are so good for you. There are so many benefits to the superfood chia. I love the little seeds and try to incorporate them into my daily meals. I usually add them to my morning smoothie, but also sprinkle the seeds on salads and create a chia gel to make that awesome pudding or a refreshing chia drink. I try to eat at least 2 tablespoons a day. Here are a few reasons why YOU should try out chia:
- Chia seeds are full of fiber. Because they absorb up to 12 times their own weight and form a gel, they make an excellent source of soluble fiber. They contain 11 grams of fiber per ounce. This fiber helps aid digestion and helps you stay full longer…so great for people who are watching their calories.
- They are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Since our bodies don’t produce them naturally and they are essential, you have to get them from your diet. Omega 3’s help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Chia seeds are a complete protein and are gluten-free, raw and vegan, which makes them an ideal food for people who mainly eat a plant-based diet.
- They contain calcium and other important minerals including potassium, magnesium, iron and zinc. 2 tablespoons of Chia seed is said to contain more calcium than a glass of milk.
- Chia seeds contain a high amount of antioxidants. Three times the amount in blueberries.
Chia seed before and after soaking for 5 minutes.
So how many of you have tried chia? Tell me how you add this awesome seed into your diet. With all the benefits to eating the superfood chia, I encourage you try some chia today!!!
Subscribe for your FREE Food and Exercise DAILY JOURNAL