Crispy Quinoa and Beans
I know what you are thinking, are these burgers or cakes? And yes, they are BOTH, burgers just not your regular hamburger or turkey burger or CAKES you may be used to.
I will tell you when I first spotted these on Pinterest they immediately caught my eye because I seem to have a major infatuation with both beans and with quinoa lately. Lots and lots of recipes with both those ingredients that I LIKE/LOVE.
Recently someone asked me "SO exactly how do you go about picking a recipe that you will post?" and I thought that was a GREAT question as I do it weekly and I do have criteria that I look for.
FIRST the recipe MUST have ingredients that I know and LIKE. Yep shouldn't be too much of a surprise with this one. Although a lady reader of mine tried my eggs, with black beans and salsa and told me it just didn't work for her. When I asked her why she said she just does NOT LIKE black beans soooooooo yep stick to the recipes that you have a GOOD chance of liking as you KNOW you like the ingredients.
Second criteria that I look for is a SHORT ingredients list. If it has too many ingredients or ingredients that I do NOT recognize then I probably will steer clear of it. At least till I get more comfortable in the kitchen and really huh, that may be NEVER.
Third thing I look for is that the ingredients and the prep of the food is HEALTHY. Like is it deep fried? Is it real food as God made it and then just spiced up? Is it BREAD? SO are the ingredients HEALTHY ingredients and prepared healthy as well? Important questions to ask and really most recipes can be tweaked and made more healthy and that sure is something I like to do.
At lastly the fourth criteria I look for.... IS IT A QUICK meal?
When I say quick I mean like less than 30 min. I do NOT want to spend all night in the kitchen. EVER! So the recipe should look to me like it won't take ALL night to make.
So with that criteria in mind here is tonight's Recipe FRIDAY
RECIPE: Crispy Quinoa and Bean Cakes
- Leftovers from Quinoa With Sweet Potatoes, Kale, and Pesto:
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 cups cooked sweet potatoes and kale, roughly chopped
- Additional ingredients:
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan (about 2 ounces)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 cups mixed greens (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a medium bowl, mash the beans with a fork. Add the quinoa, sweet potatoes and kale, eggs, Parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix to combine. Dividing evenly, form the mixture into twelve 3-inch patties (about ½ cup each).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. In batches, cook the patties until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side (adding more oil if necessary).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the greens and tomatoes and toss to combine. Serve with the quinoa and bean patties.
I love the very first ingredients lol LEFTOVER quinoa and sweet potatoes lol. Ohhhh that is great. I always have both of them left over as they are a regular part of my meal plans. You might have noticed that by the recipes I choose to try here. Trying to expand my healthy recipe list by stepping out and trying new things with the ingredients I enjoy eating and that will keep me FIT and HEALTHY. This recipe above has a salad within this recipe to serve with your cakes. I did not make it but feel free if you're up to it.
Here are some of the pictures as I was whipping this up today.
Another selling point to get me to try a recipe is when it is rated EXCEPTIONAL.
Now that is a strong word... So what did I and the fam think about it?
Well my son took ONE bite and said hmmmmm OK. My daughter would NOT EVEN try it and I am waiting to hear Lynn's verdict. For me I LOVED them. But they have to be hot. I also really tried not to use too much Olive oil in the frying pan so it stuck a little but really overall GREAT. I will tell you though it is an unexpected taste. Like I was a little fearful because I was thinking hmmmm kidney beans, sweet potato, eggs, Parmesan cheese and quinoa??? But it works. INTERESTING taste and I would make then again. Most especially if I had leftovers lol.
So give this recipe a try and check back and let me know HOW it turns out for YOU. Also you know I LOVE feedback so LIKE below if you want your friends to see this or tweet or Google+ or whatever floats your boat today 🙂
Subscribe for your FREE Food and Exercise DAILY JOURNAL